We hope you are looking forward to starting your new position. Before arriving for your first day of work, we recommend that you:
- Review your offer letter. Ensure that your own understanding matches the letter's description of your new job title, department, beginning day, and pay.
- Verify your employment eligibility. If you are new to Harvard, connect with your department administrator or manager about visiting to verify your employment eligibility if necessary. Review Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification in advance for instructions and to learn what documentation will be sufficient to verify your eligibility.
- Prepare your tax withholding and direct deposit information. Once you obtain access to PeopleSoft after your first or second day of work, you will need to update your tax withholding and any direct deposit information online. Gather your banking information and think about your tax withholding so that you are ready to make these updates during your first week.
- Talk with your manager about your first week. Communication is critical during your first days and weeks. You can get started on this key practice by contacting your manager to confirm when, where, and to whom to report to on your first day.
- Find out when you may expect to receive your first paycheck. Most FAS administrative and support staff are paid on a bi-weekly schedule. View a payroll calendar.
- Identify your transportation options and plan your commute. Explore your options for the most efficient, least costly, and possibly greenest way to arrive at your office. Learn about Harvard's CommuterChoice Program..