Space is limited, so please only register for one FY20 career development opportunity
FAS Staff Development Programs
- FAS Staff Mentoring Program: a year-long program that gives FAS staff the opportunity to connect and learn from one another.
- CareerPlus: provides one-on-one professional development and emerging leadership coaching for up to eight strong-performing FAS staff members per year (exempt staff, job levels 56-58), especially ethnic minorities and others who may contribute to the diversity of FAS leadership.
Focused Leadership: an intensive executive coaching program designed for high-performing senior managers (grade 60 and above) who have a current and pressing challenge that is best addressed through one-on-one coaching.
- Application deadline: September 19
Program overview and schedule
- Foundations of Leadership: open to managers and supervisors (grades 56+) who are strong performers, who supervise at least one permanent staff member, have been in their current role for a minimum of one year and have participated in Universal Manager Training.
- Leadership Essentials: designed for high-performing support staff (up to grade 56).
- Leadership in Action: a year-long program attended by high-performing mid-to senior level managers (grades 58-61) who have demonstrated leadership capability.
- Leadership Strategies for the Individual Contributor: designed for high-performing individual contributors (grades 56-59).
- Are in good standing in their roles;
- For HLDP and Mentoring, have been in their current role for a minimum of one year as of the start of the program;
- Meet the grade and target audience guidelines (see program overviews below);
- Have their manager’s support to participate in the program (manager support is required for participation, please have a conversation with your manager prior to enrollment);
- Be able to make the time commitment to complete the program in full.
- Selection of participants: Review of applications will be based on professional achievement and the written professional goals in the application. A review committee will select CareerPlus participants.
Mentoring and HLDP:
- "Raise your hand" registration: While HHR and other Harvard schools use a nomination process to register for some of their programs, FAS staff are eligible to "raise their hand" and register, putting ownership of career development in the hands of staff members. Manager approval is required before registration can be finalized.
- First-come, first-served: Eligible staff will be enrolled on a first-come, first-served basis. Please keep in mind that FAS has limited slots and we will accommodate requests as best we can.
- Waitlist: For HLDP, if a course is full you will not see the "enroll" button. To add your name to the waitlist, click the "show interest" text at the bottom of the page.
- Pending approval: All enrollments are “pending approval” until eligibility has been checked.
- Participation surveys: After enrolling, you will receive a short follow-up questionnaire. Please be sure to complete this questionnaire to complete your enrollment request.
- Billing code: You will need a department billing code to register for HLDP. While the cost of these programs is covered centrally by the FAS, your department will be charged a fee if you drop out of the program close to the start date or if you miss several sessions.
- Fall/Spring Sessions: Certain courses are run multiple times per year. Be sure to use the Harvard Training Portal to sign up for the desired cohort.
To view all programs and the associated elligibilty requirements, prerequisites, timelines, and more, please view the FY20 FAS Career Development Opportunities - Summary Document.