The below resources will help FAS staff navigate the transition to remote work in response to Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) as well as continue training and career development opportunities and wellness sessions virtually. Looking for more information? Read the University's Coronavirus Workplace Policies and Coronavirus FAQS.
Resources for Staff
Technical Resources for Working Remotely
- Harvard has developed the Leading and Managing in a Hybrid Work Environment Toolkit to help managers navigate a changing work landscape that includes staff working remotely and on campus.
- CWD has put together a curated list of working remotely courses for FAS staff.
- The Center for Workplace Development (CWD) has an infographic detailing the best practices for working virtually.
- HUIT offers helpful guidance on preparing to work remotely by outlining frequently used Harvard applications like Zoom, Office 365, and how to forward your phone calls to an alternate device.
- Learn more about Zoom, both as a user and scheduler, by enrolling in a training via the Harvard Training Portal.
Professional Development Remote Resources
- LinkedInLearning is an online training resource available to the Harvard community free of charge. With LinkedinLearning, you have unlimited access to a library of almost 15,000 video tutorials, taught by expert instructors. Courses include topics like How to Work Remotely as well as skills such as MS Office and SharePoint; Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator; Drupal, CSS and SQL; Final Cut, Avid and iMovie.
- Harvard ManageMentor is a free, online resource that offers excellent developmental opportunities.
- The Harvard Training Portal brings together all of your compliance and professional development in one platform. All work instructions, courses and transcript information you found in those systems are now in the training portal, along with third-party content from LinkedinLearning and Harvard ManageMentor.
Wellness and Work/Life Offerings
- Employees from across the US give Thrive Global tips on how to stay focused while working remotely.
- Enroll in one of The Office of Work/Life's Mindfulness Sessions, now offered via Zoom or register for Ten Percent Happier's free Coronavirus Sanity Guide.
- Take a break from work and listen to one of these meditation podcasts from Harvard's Employee Assistance Program (EAP) - they are all under 7 minutes in length.
- The Harvard University Employees Credit Union is offering various financial support options during this time.
- The American Occupational Therapy Assocation has provided helpful ergonomic tips for working at home.
Resources for Managers
Resources for Managing Remote or Hybrid Teams
- Harvard has updated guidelines around flexwork and is offering manager overview sessions.
- Take a course on Managing Virtual Teams through LinkedIn Learning.
- Learn more about how managers and leaders can create clear expectations for teams that are working remotely in this article by Gallup.
- The Harvard Business Review offers tips on effectively and compassionately managing your staff during a sudden transition to remote work and establishing new rituals as a team.
- How to manage the work/life balance of a remote office with this guidance via Fast Company.
Resources for Staff Dealing with Dependent Care
Dependent Care Resources
- Harvard has guidance available on Use of Sick Time and Dependent Care Sick Time during COVID.
- Fun guidance on grocery shopping and preparing meals with young children.
- Care@Work is continuing to offer back-up care solutions to those who need in-home dependent care help. Pre-registration is required.