Dean's Distinction recognizes a small number of exceptional staff members for their outstanding citizenship, collaboration, and exceptional contributions in support of the FAS teaching and research mission. Those who are nominated for Dean's Distinction should act with the highest integrity and serve as role models among staff.
Nominations for 2018 Dean's Distinction are now closed.
Individual Dean's Distinction: A staff member can be nominated for Individual Dean's Distinction for his or her outstanding citizenship, collaboration, and exceptional contribution in 2017 in support of the FAS teaching and research mission. When you submit your Individual Dean's Distinction nomination, in addition to the previously listed qualities, please consider individuals who have demonstrated excellence in managing people, in building and developing high performing teams, as well as in creating an environment where diversity and inclusion can thrive.
- Team Dean's Distinction: Teams consisting of up to eight (and in some cases up to twelve*) staff members can be nominated for Team Dean's Distinction for their exceptional work, and for their outstanding collaboration and contribution in 2017.
*Please note, the maximum number of staff members that can be nominated for Team Dean’s Distinction is eight. However, exceptions can be made for up to twelve people if the circumstances call for it. If the team you are nominating is over eight, please explain why the team has additional members.
Eligible FAS staff members for the 2018 Dean’s Distinction are:
- Benefits-eligible, full-time or part-time staff
- Non-HUCTW and HUCTW staff
- Hired into an FAS benefits-eligible position on or before 1/1/2017
- Job grade levels: 47 through 60 for Individual Dean's Distinction; 47 through 64 for Team Dean's Distinction
- Less than Half Time (LHT) staff may be nominated as a member of a team (but not as an individual)
Please note: While previous Dean's Distinction nominees (from any year) are eligible to be nominated again this year, recipients of Individual Dean’s Distinction in 2016 or 2017 are not eligible to be nominated, unless they are being nominated for Team Dean's Distinction. Harvard retirees are not eligible.
Character limit and saving your nomination.
Please keep narratives to 2,500 characters or less, including spaces (about one full page in a Word document). Since the nomination form does not allow you to “save” your work, we suggest that you write your nomination narrative in a separate Word document, and then copy and paste the text into the online nomination form.
What to include in your nomination narrative.
When describing the nominated staff member's or team's accomplishments in 2017, please explain why this individual or team meets the criteria for Dean’s Distinction, which is: outstanding citizenship, collaboration, and exceptional contribution in 2017. Be sure to provide several concrete examples.
Nominating a staff member or team from another department.
If you are nominating an individual or a team from a department other than yours, we encourage you to have a conversation with the nominee’s direct manager(s) to confirm that there is agreement for the nomination.
Submitting your nomination.
After completing the nomination form, click "Submit" and you will see a confirmation notice.
- Dean's Distinction FAQs
- Complete List of All Previous Dean's Distinction Recipients (2010-2017)
- Previous Individual Dean's Distinction Recipients from 2016 and 2017 (not eligible this year, unless they are being nominated as a member of a team)
- The Story of the Grand Orrery Clock - an apt symbol for this award
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact Jennifer Callahan (5-4496, firstname.lastname@example.org).