With many FAS staff members navigating a new remote landscape, managers may need additional support in managing performance from a distance. Below are some resources that can help managers lead virtually and staff members successfully telework:
- Addressing Challenging Situations in Remote Management: A Guide for FAS Managers
- Harvard’s Telework Continuity Tool Kit
- Managing and Measuring Flex Work
- Coronavirus Remote Work Resources
- LinkedIn Learning – Leading at a Distance
- Harvard ManageMentor – Performance Appraisal
- Harvard Business Review – How Managers Can Support Remote Employees
- Harvard Business Review - How to Manage an Employee Who’s Struggling to Perform Remotely
- MIT Sloan Management Review – Leading Remotely
Additional resources on telework can be found on the Remote and Flexwork page.
Managers recognize the need for regular coaching and they understand why coaching is important. That much we know. What we’ve experienced, however, is that managers struggle between this cognitive understanding and the widespread ability to translate it into ongoing behavior. Managers know they need to coach “for performance.” The question is, how to do this. We think spot coaching may be able to help us with this.
- Ongoing coaching plays a key role in performance management and is critical to having meaningful conversations throughout the year.
- Click below to listen to the 8-minute podcast on spot coaching.
- Spot coaching will help managers to integrate coaching into their ongoing interactions with staff and it will help staff maximize the benefits of in-the-moment coaching.
The Performance Management Webinar for FAS Staff and Managers covers topics relevant to both managers and staff such as:
- Why Ongoing Performance Conversations Matter
- Practical Tips for Coaching Conversations
- When Performance Conversations Are Challenging
- Coaching as Conversation: a Guide for Managers helps managers navigate coaching conversations, including how to have ongoing coaching conversations, ways to start conversation, and offering constructive criticism.
- Owning Your Own Performance Management: a Guide for Staff provides guidance to staff on how they can take an active role in their own performance management, including asking for feedback and embracing a growth mindset.
- Compassionate Directness: an online video series that explores the art of effective, compassionate communication and provides tools to be a more thoughtful, direct communicator.
- Making Feedback Work: an online video tutorial that provides practical advice on giving performance feedback.
- Feedback Essentials: this Harvard ManageMentor online self-paced course covers how to give effective positive or critical feedback and more.
- Providing Feedback: an online tutorial on how to give feedback to both peers and those who you manage.
- Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well by Douglas Stone and Sheila Heen
- Radical Candor: Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity by Kim Scott