As an FAS staff member, your work and interactions at the FAS are guided by FAS and University-wide policies, which operate alongside the personnel manual and union contracts. In addition, some policies apply specifically to faculty and instructors, and to researchers.
Harvie: University-wide policies at a glance covering finance, information security, use of the Harvard name, union contracts, the personnel manual, and more.
Office of the Provost: A comprehensive list of University-wide policies.
Financial Policy Office: University-wide financial policies including accounting, payments, tax, travel, and reimbursement policies.
Office of the Assistant to the President for Institutional Diversity and Equity: Policies related to diversity, inclusion, compliance, affirmative action, disability services, and gender equity.
FAS Sexual And Gender-Based Harassment Policy and Procedures: The FAS Policy adopts and expands on the University Title IX Policy, and incorporates the University Procedures. Title IX online training is available to FAS staff. Additional information on what to do if someone approaches you with a Sexual or Gender-Based Harassment disclosure is available here.
FAS Policy on Conflicts of Interest and Commitment: Each Center Executive Director and Local Development Officer shall at all times act in a manner consistent with his or her responsibilities to the University and shall exercise due care to avoid situations that create conflicts between his or her private interests and those of the University. To access the Acknowledgement and Disclosure Statement form click here.
Harvard's Discrimination Policy and Review Procedure. This policy relates to discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, pregnancy, or any other legally protected basis. Such discrimination is unlawful and intolerable to the University.
Harvard’s Earned Sick Time Policy: This policy is based upon the premise that the University and employees share a common concern for both the work that needs to be done and the wellbeing of those who perform the work.
- Temps and Less Than Half Time Employees: This document provides a summary and overview of the most recent modifications to the Policy Guidelines for hiring Temps and Less Than Half Time Employees.
Policy for the Safety and Protection of Minors – This University-wide policy includes guidelines for interactions with minors; the requirement to report any instance of suspected abuse or neglect of a minor; education for those who interact with minors and those who oversee programs for minors; and background screening for those in certain positions of responsibility for minors in University programs.
Harvard University Youth Protection Officer:
Eliza Brown (Interim)
FAS Tub Sponsoring Officers (TSOs):
- The College and Phillips Brooks House: Varsha Ghosh
- Academic Department and Labs: Jennifer Shephard
- Athletics: Pat Henry/Duane Reeves
- DCE: Rob Neugeboren/Mary Higgins
- FAS HR: Ann Marie Acker/Chris Ciotti
FAS Specific Minors Background Screening Documents and Information (TSO and Program Administrator use only) – Please find below documents and information for FAS TSOs and FAS Program Administrators to use to for those individuals that require background screening under the Harvard Policy for the Safety and Protection of Minors.
Minors Policy Background Screening FAS Flow Chart – Overview of the process flow for Minors Background Screening.
CORI Acknowledgement Form (Minors policy) – Program Administrators must provide the CORI Acknowledgment Form to those who have been identified as Responsible Adults, in their program, for completion. Only those responsible adults staying overnight in dorms/houses OR working in a recreational camp are required to have a CORI as part of their required background screening. Program Administrators must submit the completed form to FAS Recruitment Services at email@example.com. This form must be submitted in order to initiate the CORI prior to commencing work in a youth-serving program at Harvard. Note that Responsible Adults working for a vendor do not need to fill out this Form: under the Policy, vendors are responsible for screening their employees and certifying their compliance to the Program Administrator.
Minors Policy Background Screening FAS FAQ
Sample Emails (to be used by TSOs and / or Program Administrators for background screening communications) – Included are sample email messages for the TSO and Program Administrators to send regarding the FAS background screening process.
- Minors Policy Background Screening FAS Questionnaire (to be completed by Program Administrators at time of background screening request) – Program Administrators must return this completed form along with the completed CORI Acknowledgment Form (if CORI is required) to FAS Recruitment Services, firstname.lastname@example.org. This form must be submitted in order to receive a required background screen prior to commencing work in a youth-serving program at Harvard. Note that Responsible Adults working for a vendor do not need to fill out this Form: under the Policy, vendors are responsible for screening their employees and certifying their compliance to the Program Administrator.